NOTE: BP4K does not accept backpacks openly from the public.
This is due to security and quality control concerns. We do host ‘Build a Backpack Day(s),’ where we work with local communities to source and build backpacks so please stay tuned for updates if you are interested.
The following information is for Build a Backpack Day participants only:
We have worked closely with Government agencies and non-governmental organizations to provide backpacks that have what refugee children need most.
There are 2 steps for making backpacks for BP4K:
- Sourcing necessary items for a group of backpacks
- Building the backpack to specification
– No military / guns or toys
– Nothing political
– No nuts or potential allergens
– No food, meats, seeds, vegetables, fruits, etc., besides item #3 below.
– Backpacks are for kids aged 2-12 years old
– Please indicate somewhere on the backpack whether its for a boy/girl and the intended age range.
– New items only, sorry. We cannot accept used items for numerous reasons.
– Please following packing list carefully. No extra items.
Full Packing List:
- Packable blanket that can fit into the backpack along with all the other items, age appropriate size. Baby swaddling blankets are too small. No large towels.
- Candy / candy bars / chocolate (this is popular, Ghirardelli a FAVORITE)
- Goldfish and/or crackers
- Small packages of wet wipes and/or tissues – no chlorox or strong household cleaner types.
- Socks, 2-3 pairs
- Underwear, 2-3 pair
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair comb or brush
- Small stuffed animal (beanie baby sized)
- Refillable water bottle (12-16 oz) NEW only
Hat and gloves*.Summer hat, baseball caps, new only.
- Body wash travel sized, all in 1 type (Shampoo and body wash)
- Sketchpad & markers (crayons and or colored pencils, age appropriate)
- Rubik’s cube, fidget spinner, or pop-it toy*
- Matchbox car (boys) or small doll (girls)*
- Hair tie (girls)
- Small pack of feminine hygienic products (for girls 10yrs +)
Once your bag is ready, reach out to your local contact and we will have further instructions
Bag Do’s and Don’ts
- Follow list exactly please.
- No draw string backpacks.
- All items, including the backpack must be new. No used or second hand items.
- No extra items or items not asked for – these items will be donated to local charity.
- Please do not include cash – any $ found will be donated to the BP4K organization.
Specific supply items needed:
From time to time we find our inventory requiring a specific item or two that may be difficult to source or extremely expensive in a particular market. As a solution, we ask you to acquire these items and they will be transported through our normal logistics networks. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to contribute a single item supply pack to BP4K.